Hi and welcome to my site!
My name is Clair and I have been lucky enough to be involved with horses on and off since the age of 8. I rode regularly as a child and even loaned several ponies before leaving school.
Since leaving school I have had a successful career working up the ladder in the corporate industry. However, in 2015, I decided to embark upon a new career that would involve working with horses again. I pretty much stumbled across saddler training and whilst having a natural creative flair and a hands on approach to handcrafting and sewing I immediately booked myself onto a Basic Leather course, followed by a saddle repairing coarse.
Eventually I was accepted onto an Adult training scheme with the Saddlery Training Centre in Salisbury where I have been learning the skills of working with leather ever since and subsequently undertaking the City and Guilds exams.
Finally in 2016, I set up my workshop at home and ‘The Lady Saddler’ was formed. Located on the outskirts of South Staffordshire I mainly design and hand craft saddlery and leather work; I will also carry out repair jobs if asked.
In addition to this I have become a bit of a blogger where I have been writing about my journey in becoming a saddler. If you would like to check out my blog site, click here.
My qualifications and experience to date include:
- April 2015 – Attended Basic Leather work course at Saddlers Den
- August 2015 – Attended Saddle Repair and Reflock course at Saddlers Den
- October 2015 – Attended SMS Saddle Fitters Introductory course at Moulton College.
- January 2016 – Accepted onto Adult Training Scheme at The Saddlery Training Centre.
- May 2016 – Started C & G, Level 2 Bridle Making.
- August 2016 – Attended SMS Bridle Fitting course at Moulton College.
- October 2016 – Achieved C & G Level 2 Bridle Making qualification.
- December 2016 – Started C & G, Level 3 Bridle Making.
- October 2017 – Achieved C & G Level 3 Bridle Making qualification.
- November 2017 – Started C & G Level 2 Saddle Making.